Books Glorious books!

Share your stories about the Space Hulk and your battles.
OgvaiOgvaiHelmscrott

Books Glorious books!

Post by OgvaiOgvaiHelmscrott » 28 November 2016, 13:14

Okay, we're all Warhammer fans here, and probably have read or listened to most if not all the books...LOOK I HAVE NO LIFE DONT JUDGE ME......okay judge me alittle

Recently i reread Prospero burns, and would recommend reading and listening to the Audio book(subtle differances in the book/audio book make it worth while oh and the Voice actor is on point)

Now this thread i kinda want it to be a recomendation for what books to read and about what books we are currently readin/listening too....

Og.
Jarl of Tra Wolf lord, And most importantly, a member of the Rout!

Cabochard

Re: Books Glorious books!

Post by Cabochard » 28 November 2016, 22:21

I liked Prospero Burns (although it did nothing to calm down the anger I felt at the Vlka Fenryka after reading A Thousand Sons), and of course I'd recommend most of the Horus Heresy. Really the only books in that series I didn't like (so far, I'm only at Vengeful Spirit right now) were Deliverance Lost and Vulkan Lives, but that might just be me.
Victory requires no explanation, defeat allows for none.

Spehss Mehreen Gavin

Post by Spehss Mehreen Gavin » 29 November 2016, 11:54

Cabochard wrote:I liked Prospero Burns (although it did nothing to calm down the anger I felt at the Vlka Fenryka after reading A Thousand Sons), and of course I'd recommend most of the Horus Heresy. Really the only books in that series I didn't like (so far, I'm only at Vengeful Spirit right now) were Deliverance Lost and Vulkan Lives, but that might just be me.
Would it help if I told you Horus actually was the fuck-nut who told Lemon Russ to burn Prospero?
Originally, the Emperor told him to go just to arrest Magnus and bring him home for a trial, but Horus had other idea's and told Lemon Russ that the Emperor had changed his mind and that Magnus was a fucking HERETIC!
Oh the Irony.
Hope this helped to ease your ill-will against the Spehss Wehlves,
Gavin.

Cabochard

Post by Cabochard » 29 November 2016, 14:57

Spehss Mehreen Gavin wrote:
Cabochard wrote:I liked Prospero Burns (although it did nothing to calm down the anger I felt at the Vlka Fenryka after reading A Thousand Sons), and of course I'd recommend most of the Horus Heresy. Really the only books in that series I didn't like (so far, I'm only at Vengeful Spirit right now) were Deliverance Lost and Vulkan Lives, but that might just be me.
Would it help if I told you Horus actually was the fuck-nut who told Lemon Russ to burn Prospero?
Originally, the Emperor told him to go just to arrest Magnus and bring him home for a trial, but Horus had other idea's and told Lemon Russ that the Emperor had changed his mind and that Magnus was a fucking HERETIC!
Oh the Irony.
Hope this helped to ease your ill-will against the Spehss Wehlves,
Gavin.
Did not help, sorry. The part that made me angry wasn't so much Leman Russ' execution of Prospero - he was as tricked into that as everyone else was, and was even going to be pretty honorable about it and offered the Thousand Sons a chance to just line up and accept their deaths without anyone else having to get hurt.

The part that made me angry, was the absolute hypocrisy and sheer stupidity he pulled at Nikaea, which directly lead to the Thousand Sons needing to be executed in the first place.

OgvaiOgvaiHelmscrott

Post by OgvaiOgvaiHelmscrott » 29 November 2016, 16:03

What stupidity at nikea? He was ordered by the Emperor to be there and was hidden with the sisters so he would not cause issues, The only thing that was to happen was when Casper Hauser was..well..we all know that "Amon" turned up and had a conversation with him(trying to avoid spoilers as much as i can) Which Wyrdmake and Bjorn fought over ect, and that NEEDED to be reported to the emperor,

The Rout did not do anything wrong, They protected their Skjald as was their charge, and they were Tricked as was the entire imperium of man.

Edit: The reason the Wolf king and the Rout was sent to Prospero was ENTIRELY magnus's fault, if he hadnt have been so stupid they would have been stronger when coming to fight horus, and Yes the Wolf King should have been...a little less vigilant and agressive but he had been told by the Emperor AND as the Executioner he followed Blindly as Magnus did to try and warn the Emperor.

Cabochard

Post by Cabochard » 29 November 2016, 16:40

The stupidity and hypocrisy I was referring to was sending Wyrdmake (a psyker) to spy on the Thousand Sons by "befriending" Ahriman, and then to speak out against Librarians, while of course never saying anything about dissolving the Rune Priests because of course they're not psykers. I would hold it against him less if it weren't for the fact that Leman Russ is clearly smart enough to know that the Rune Priests are no less psykers than the Librarians.

Edit: The spying is forgiveable, since the Thousand Sons did the same thing (but worse) with their skjald. But the complete lack of self-awareness about their priests is still unforgivable.

OgvaiOgvaiHelmscrott

Post by OgvaiOgvaiHelmscrott » 29 November 2016, 18:16

With the Wyrdmake and Arhiman thing, there was not subterfuge there, they honestly became friends during some fights they were in together, Although the Rune Priests and librarians are the same now, but thats only due to necessity, during the entire Nikea thing Wyrdmake and im quoting Lexicanum atm, but :
Wyrdmake, as a psyker himself and as someone considered a respected colleague by Ahriman, may have been thought to have spoken out in defence of Librarians. Quite the opposite. Claiming knowledge of the Thousand Sons due to fighting alongside them on Shrike and Aghoru, he denounced each and every one of them as warlocks, deceivers and sorcerers, swearing the truth of the matter upon his oath of loyalty to Leman Russ
And well....Rune priests....erm.....LEXICANUM SAVE ME...Well..Damn it...Basically Ritualistic, runes...And..Spirits...from..Fenris..So..Erm.........

Spehss Mehreen Gavin

Post by Spehss Mehreen Gavin » 29 November 2016, 19:53

Now, Now, I didn't mean to star a lore discussion, Gentlemen!
Let's get back to the topic, 40k Books!

I enjoyed Pandorax and I bought the Honour Imperialis Omnibus which includes Dead Men Walking, Redemption Corps, and Cadian Blood, which were all excellent...Wasn't too impressed with Redemption Corps though. I sadly haven't had the chance to read the Horus Heresy novels but I've heard they're all pretty good.

Frigglypuss

Post by Frigglypuss » 30 November 2016, 20:16

Spehss Mehreen Gavin wrote:
I sadly haven't had the chance to read the Horus Heresy novels but I've heard they're all pretty good.

at least get the first 3, they are really a great read. to be honest i was hooked at the first sentence of the first book.
"I was there. I was there they day the Emperor died." or something like that. now i have to finish the series but i'm done reading the most recent book long before the release of the next one. there are 30+ books so you have lots of time to catch up :)