User Warhammer Background

Share your stories about the Space Hulk and your battles.
KingPhilipIII

Re: User Warhammer Background

Post by KingPhilipIII » 09 November 2016, 12:45

I first became enamored with the 40k universe before I even knew it. When I was younger I played DoW almost religiously, as I had a great love for RTS games. For a long time I didn't know it was even part of such a large franchise.

About four or five years ago, I made a new friend at a family picnic, and he was obsessed with 40k. He showed me his models, his books, his games and I became immersed in the lore. I've read numerous books and I have a great deal of general knowledge. I've never been able to get into the TT, too expensive(I have a single SwarmLord model I got to keep on my shelf) but my friend let me use his Tyranid army a few times. Still eh at best.

Now, I look forward to the glorious and gory battle that awaits us aboard the Space Hulk. Anyone who's looking to discuss the lore or such, as I delight in arguement and learning, shoot me a message on here.

mdcpaladin

Post by mdcpaladin » 13 November 2016, 02:03

sbseed wrote:
DarknessKnight wrote:Dammit im old...!
i feel that one, if i had the money for the original table top versions of the game i would have been playing that for the past however many years instead of just DnD (which dominated my idealistic dreams, meaning both!)
am 30+ now, so i was around when people started playing WH40K and the other version of warhammer, DnD was still young then too.

i was only ever able to read some of my friends (more like acquaintances) codex books and get the rare look at the gameplay books... it wasn't till after i was in a car accident (on the job no less, doing medical transport... the irony is thick) and wasn't able to do much of anything anymore that i finally was able to play some DoW PC game, and then DoW 2... and imminently disappointed that there were so few computer games for WH40K, then when space marine was announced and released the perfect game to showcase how awesome the tabletop game was, instead we got a THQ release EA style (which pissed me off no end)...

for those who like space marine, more power to you... the game was off on so much stuff (must control rage), that i almost through my monitor against the wall.

anyways!!!, i am hoping this will be some sort of redemption for the digital game versions of WH40k... not going to hold my breath at this point tho, specially since the IP has been whored out all over the place by GW.

What Space Marine did pretty well was the combat if you ignore all the fine lore fluffs. it ewas solid gritty combat, especially Exterminatus. Sadly the netcode is absolutely shit which made for a usual lagfest and frequent disconnects. the gfx were pretty good and i did enjoy it, but i didnt care for the campaign. having played deathwing im literally bursting in my pants for a complete, smooth and relatively bug free experience. no pun intended. i realized that last sentence LOL

Pluvius

Post by Pluvius » 25 November 2016, 13:13

Ive been waiting and dreaming if this game for over 25 years... When I was a kid I used to watch my Dad play Space Hulk:Vengance of the Blood Angels, lights off, volume turned up, Genestealers were my nightmare growing up haha.. until I was old enough to get behind the controller myself.. I was Hooked for years and had no idea what Warhammer was or anything about the 40k universe until one day at a mall walking by a hobby store and was like.. wait, arent those space hulk terminators on the window poster and had to go in and ask questions.. of course the guy working there had absolutely no idea what space hulk was >< lol! but he filled me in enough to do some research and have been a Huge Warhammer fan ever since.

My dad, some very close friends have often talked and dreamed... Wonder if someday they will ever remake Space Hulk only with modern Graphics and Multiplayer co op... our hopes have finally been answered!!! Just got done with a couple games in Beta and This game is going to be truly epic. My whole gaming life on steam and everywhere I have always used the name Pluvius, which I got right out of The original. He was my favorite Terminator and will miss all the fun Dialoge from the original. Bethors.. Bolter is Jammed!! or.. This is for.. Lucius!! ohh the memories coming back. Now over 20 years later, Will be purging the great hulks of foul xenos once again!! Hope they let us choose chapters and colors someday would truly love to have Blood Angel Pluvius as.. Himself once again,

Thank you for making Dreams come true! haha
"Here are your Objectives, All surviving terminators must exit by this point. recover 3 relics, Position the powerfield generator.. Here! Kill the Magus!!!!

Imperator5

Post by Imperator5 » 25 November 2016, 20:13

Started out with Dawn of War 1. Played Dow 1-2 Space Marine Deathwatch Eisenhorn and BFGA.

I have read 95% of all Warhammer 40k material out there. Most books save the "path of the Eldar" and some other xenos ones. Most codexes I have read, except a few new ones.

I pretty much know all that there is to know, and have worked on modding Dawn of War games for a long time. Dabbled a little with modding Space marine too.

Space marine actually is the closest 40k game to the lore. The furthest game from the lore is either Chess or tabletop. Not sure which.

Vicconius

Post by Vicconius » 25 November 2016, 22:16

Pluvius wrote:Ive been waiting and dreaming if this game for over 25 years... When I was a kid I used to watch my Dad play Space Hulk:Vengance of the Blood Angels, lights off, volume turned up, Genestealers were my nightmare growing up haha.. until I was old enough to get behind the controller myself.. I was Hooked for years and had no idea what Warhammer was or anything about the 40k universe until one day at a mall walking by a hobby store and was like.. wait, arent those space hulk terminators on the window poster and had to go in and ask questions.. of course the guy working there had absolutely no idea what space hulk was >< lol! but he filled me in enough to do some research and have been a Huge Warhammer fan ever since.

My dad, some very close friends have often talked and dreamed... Wonder if someday they will ever remake Space Hulk only with modern Graphics and Multiplayer co op... our hopes have finally been answered!!! Just got done with a couple games in Beta and This game is going to be truly epic. My whole gaming life on steam and everywhere I have always used the name Pluvius, which I got right out of The original. He was my favorite Terminator and will miss all the fun Dialoge from the original. Bethors.. Bolter is Jammed!! or.. This is for.. Lucius!! ohh the memories coming back. Now over 20 years later, Will be purging the great hulks of foul xenos once again!! Hope they let us choose chapters and colors someday would truly love to have Blood Angel Pluvius as.. Himself once again,

I.. am his father.

I purchased a Panisonic 3DO game system from a friend which came with Space Hulk: Vengeance of the blood angels game over 25 years ago. Possibly my first experience with an FPS style game and became immediately hooked. Pluvius, who was really young at the time (early 90's) was scared to death of this game, but would watch me play from the hallway, it took a few years before he would even play it himself.

This game provided a gaming relation between my son and I that still to this day is extremely strong, so it's only natural that I will be following him into this version of this game as well.

Frigglypuss

Post by Frigglypuss » 01 December 2016, 16:04

Vicconius wrote:
Pluvius wrote:Ive been waiting and dreaming if this game for over 25 years... When I was a kid I used to watch my Dad play Space Hulk:Vengance of the Blood Angels, lights off, volume turned up, Genestealers were my nightmare growing up haha.. until I was old enough to get behind the controller myself.. I was Hooked for years and had no idea what Warhammer was or anything about the 40k universe until one day at a mall walking by a hobby store and was like.. wait, arent those space hulk terminators on the window poster and had to go in and ask questions.. of course the guy working there had absolutely no idea what space hulk was >< lol! but he filled me in enough to do some research and have been a Huge Warhammer fan ever since.

I.. am his father.

I purchased a Panisonic 3DO game system from a friend which came with Space Hulk: Vengeance of the blood angels game over 25 years ago. Possibly my first experience with an FPS style game and became immediately hooked. Pluvius, who was really young at the time (early 90's) was scared to death of this game, but would watch me play from the hallway, it took a few years before he would even play it himself.

This game provided a gaming relation between my son and I that still to this day is extremely strong, so it's only natural that I will be following him into this version of this game as well.
i think that's amazing!
my first exposure to 40K was a half painted space marine figure i used to play my cleric in my very first DnD campaign. It belonged to my friend who was a mexican JW who now teaches english in china haha, i miss that guy. a couple years later i stumbled upon the Gotek and Felix series and finished that now. i'm up to date with horus heresy novels, i read ravenor, night lords, salamanders omnibi, the Malcharius campaign series, the Von Carstein series (which started out well but felt really rushed by the end) as well as Sigmar and Malekith (by Gav Thorp) which is one of the best WH books i've ever read. i think i peed a couple drops from excitement when i read Gav is a part of this project haha. i played space marine and the Dawn of War series but i'm excited to play Spacehulk: Deathwing and i have high hopes for it.
Im a 40K table top virgin, and i didn't know there were any roleplay campaigns that you could be a part of until i read some of the previous posts. i love a good story and being a part of something greater than just myself (or my character). see you guys out there!

Spike

Post by Spike » 02 December 2016, 13:45

I started out in 2nd ed 40k with the box set, wasnt keen on the orks and wanted to do something other than ultrasmurfs so i painted them up as space wolves, didnt have anyone to play against though so I had to play both sides, bit after that I got a ps1 and got to playing shadow of the horned rat and dark omen, which got me into fantasy, had a small lizardmen army and a small high elf army and even had a few people to play against, couldnt win for toffee though and it stopped being fun so I gave up,

Then third ed 40k came round, I had flogged my marines to a friend by this point so figured why not do something different and went with eldar which I still have to this day, though you can tell I was young when they were painted and I just havent got time to 'fix' now, I also played a tallarn IG force led by Al Rahem, which I sold a couple of years ago, necrons, and tyranids

Didnt play 4th ed because of girls and beer, but kept up with the hobby through ps2's fire warrior and dawn of war with its expansions, alongside space hulk and vengeance

At some point I did play 5th and had a grey knights force, new tyranids and as ever my eldar, but this was pretty much the end for me, losing gaming friends to real life (work/marriage/kids etc), and a different gaming club who abhor warhammer (the old one closed up early 4th ed) meant I was back to square one with no one to play against

I have also had the fun of playing necromunda, blood bowl, mordheim and the space hulk 2nd edition, although I have the third edition (2009) a lack of players mean its been stuck in a drawer still in its shrink wrap ever since

Its been a lot of fun, the only things I regret were not playing epic and man o'war when I had the chance

random tyranid pic, one of my favourite pieces