Can not start singleplayer game - BLACK SCREEN

We'll help you troubleshoot issues with Space Hulk: Deathwing.
spineknot

Can not start singleplayer game - BLACK SCREEN

Post by spineknot » 08 January 2017, 13:50

Pre-ordered on Steam, but did not have a chance to play it until now. Downloaded the game, finished tutorial, all looked good. Started a singleplayer campaign, sat through intro movies with no VIDEO in them (black screen, voice acting and SUBTITLES) for 5 times (no skipping option you see) and all I got was a blank BLACK SCREEN with some ambient sounds, no game... It stayed that way for 10-15 minutes, after that I got really bored and had to finish the application through Windows task manager. My NVIDIA drivers are up to date and system meets the minimum requirements (see attachment)... I've already tried reinstalling or repairing all the COmmonRedist software, checking the integrity of game cache and all that... HELP ME.
Attachments
normandy.zip
(158.38 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Roibr

Re: Can not start singleplayer game - BLACK SCREEN

Post by Roibr » 19 January 2017, 15:11

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3093

I highly recommending trying this! ;)

I had issues with my PC not being able to Boot or Restart correctly for Weeks. I had this Issues from time to time, without any Virus or whatnot. I`m a lucky Guy when it comes toi Deathwing since i have had very, very few issues.

But this Page helped me fixing PC Issues whom had NOTHING to do with Deathwing!

Try it out and enjoy the Game!
Where there is uncertainty, I shall bring light
Where there is doubt, I shall sow faith
Where there is shame, I shall point atonement
Where there is rage, I shall show its course
My word in the soul shall be as my bolter in the field.

spineknot

Post by spineknot » 30 January 2017, 16:10

Thanks for the reply, Roibr. I've tried everything from that thread but still no singleplayer for me... Multiplayer works ok and is kinda fun, but... I hoped for a good story... BTW I tried to get a refund, but it was too late, I was wrong to wait more than 2 weeks for a patch for this bugged game... Kinda sad really how developers messed up such a game... it could have been AWESOME

Roibr

Post by Roibr » 15 February 2017, 15:41

There "should" be a Big Patch coming these Week. With more Weapons for Multiplayer. Maybe reworked Skill etc. and hopefully for you, a big Update regarding Singleplayer!

Roibr

Post by Roibr » 15 February 2017, 15:47

I`m not an Expert with Computers, but i know how to play Games :mrgreen:

No seriously hahaha

What HD and Graphics-Card do you use? Maybe they are both too weak. The Game has certainly really good Graphics and is Powerhungry!
Maybe that is a reason for the Blackscreen aswell. Also Optimisations regarding your "older" Graphicscard maybe a reason for that too.
I tried to read your ZIP but its Russian, soooo yeah

My recommendation for Minimum requirements are:
*SSD
* Good Graphicscard 970+
*8-16G of Ram

spineknot

Post by spineknot » 16 February 2017, 14:46

my specs: Intel Core i5 4570, GTX 970, 16 Gb of DDR3, Samsung 750 EVO SSD and Windows 7 x64 - pretty standart gaming rig imo... and with a steam library of more than 200 titles (including a lot of really demanding AAA ones))) and 12 years of PC gaming I think I know a thing or two about,,, well,,, PC gaming? So...
BTW Steam downloaded a small (16.1 Mb) update for Deathwing today...

Roibr

Post by Roibr » 16 February 2017, 15:51

spineknot wrote:
16 February 2017, 14:46
my specs: Intel Core i5 4570, GTX 970, 16 Gb of DDR3, Samsung 750 EVO SSD and Windows 7 x64 - pretty standart gaming rig imo... and with a steam library of more than 200 titles (including a lot of really demanding AAA ones))) and 12 years of PC gaming I think I know a thing or two about,,, well,,, PC gaming? So...
BTW Steam downloaded a small (16.1 Mb) update for Deathwing today...
10G patch incoming!

spineknot

Post by spineknot » 16 February 2017, 16:36

already downloaded it - beta patch, 9.7 Gb download - no changes for me, still can not begin Chapter I, pressed Q, sat through black screen cutscenes with subtitles and... NOTHING, JUST A BLACK SCREEN AGAIN. No error message, Deatwing.exe is running fine but no GAME. Great job, guys, keep it up....

Focus_Karl
Administrateur

Post by Focus_Karl » 17 February 2017, 11:30

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Do you have Windows Media player installed on your computer?

Can you go to \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Space Hulk Deathwing\SpaceHulkGame\Content\Movies and try to open the files named Intro.wmv and Chap01_SpaceHulkIntro.mp4.
If you can't read them, then it might be that there is a problem with your video player. You should be able to find Windows Media Player codecs on the internet.

If installing WMP or updating the codecs did not help, you can either move those files in another folder of your PC or you can compress them in a zip or rar files and delete the video files.
When the Intro files or not in this folder anymore, launch the game and start a new campaign. It should skip the intro videos (as there not there anymore) and you should be able to play the campaign through.
Focus_Karl
QA - Monitoring

spineknot

Post by spineknot » 23 February 2017, 02:56

Thanks for the reply, Carl. Yes, I do have WMP installed and I can read those files, I even tried installing different media player (PotPlayer) which can play almost any kind of video files but it didn't help. So I followed your advise and zipped all contents of Movies folder into one archive after that I could finally start singleplayer campaign.