Melee needs changes?!

Share your ideas and suggestions for Space Hulk: Deathwing.
Matness

Melee needs changes?!

Post by Matness » 18 December 2016, 20:25

First of all english is not my native language, sorry for that ;-p

I guess alot of us dont fell very comfortable with the melee system. To wait till the animation of a strike has ended to do the next melee action feels very clunky. It should be possible to perform fluid combos of strikes and blocks.
And striking should be possible while parrying aswell.

Jimboza

Re: Melee needs changes?!

Post by Jimboza » 18 December 2016, 22:32

Watching people with lightning claws bravely stand to fight the enemy and being instantly swarmed and devoured is absolutely hysterical though.

I WILL FITE TEH ENEMY

BATTUL BRUVA NOOOOO!

Fawl

Post by Fawl » 19 December 2016, 08:49

I agree, it's clunky and needs to be more fluid as you start with the disadvantage of being melee. I find it typically more effective to keep swinging and try to dodge over trying to block because 70% of the time you try to block, your animation will be on CD and you'll just take one to the face. I understand that augmented men in giant robot suits should probably be abit clunky? but not at the expense of the role.

Midnight

Post by Midnight » 22 December 2016, 09:59

I like the meele system. It feels heavy as it should be in my opinion. Having to choose between blocking and attacking makes me feel more involved in the tactics of the playthrough. I really enjoy it. It makes me work for the victory instead of standing in a small hallway, taping my mousebutton and go afk

deacis

Post by deacis » 22 December 2016, 16:04

As it is currently, you have to perfectly catch the end of the current action, else you either risk that the new command is completely ignored, or you waste time between actions. The first is probably, what frustrates most people, as it makes the game feel unresponsive.

A minor change would do the trick, I think: Just allow a single command to be queued while any attack/block animation is currently being performed. The queued up command is overwritten by any new input until it can be carried out. This does not change the basics of the melee system (blocking or attacking, attacks can't be aborted), but it would allow players to more fluidly chain up commands (including usage of Psy and firing weapons).

Midnight

Post by Midnight » 23 December 2016, 09:34

Well i have to agree to the single command queue. Even though it makes the game easier i believe it is for the greater good for the game and its playerbase

Irydi

Post by Irydi » 23 December 2016, 09:53

I like the idea of the melee being more fluid it does seem a little clunky I agree.

I don't agree with being able to attack while blocking though, unless of course you mean shooting, maybe shooting with less accuracy but I don't think this needs to be implemented.

An nice idea though and food for thought, maybe have some type of return damage, if you are blocking with the power fist mayhap they take some type of electricity damage?

Iry
Winners train, looser's complain - Iry

We are the greatest humans ever born. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear - Sanguinius

Matness

Post by Matness » 26 December 2016, 23:45

deacis wrote:As it is currently, you have to perfectly catch the end of the current action, else you either risk that the new command is completely ignored, or you waste time between actions. The first is probably, what frustrates most people, as it makes the game feel unresponsive.

A minor change would do the trick, I think: Just allow a single command to be queued while any attack/block animation is currently being performed. The queued up command is overwritten by any new input until it can be carried out. This does not change the basics of the melee system (blocking or attacking, attacks can't be aborted), but it would allow players to more fluidly chain up commands (including usage of Psy and firing weapons).
That!

Vanazir Saracen

Post by Vanazir Saracen » 26 January 2017, 03:20

i have to agree and echo that Melee REALLY needs some work it just doesnt have a very satisiying and fluid feel to it its very janky for lack of a better term, i recomend looking at space marine a bit for better melee combat feel ( not saying we need sync kills or anything just saying even without them in that game it feels way better)