List of improvements

Share your ideas and suggestions for Space Hulk: Deathwing.
archvitos

List of improvements

Post by archvitos » 14 March 2017, 08:33

At first i want to mention that i have no idea what space hulk tabletop game is, and i slightly know warhammer 40k lore.
All my suggestions based on idea to make SH:DW a better co-op shooter.

UI
Server list missing a few columns: ping/latency, difficulty
It's ridiculous to facecheck every server to determine ping and genestealer's damage.
How about checkbox "remember user's preferences"? E.g. i want to look for servers without password and keep this preferences even after facechecking one of the servers.
Quick match button should has a timeout, after 30-60 sec you'll became a host for some random map or star campaign.
It's all here http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/97230938370811424/79F0FF32B846F6A5222E9464E600C8D82CAF82F7/
Main menu shows up slowly, especially for me "multiplayer" and "exit" one of the latest. How about to show up all buttons instantly?
Failed mission screen with three options, and one of them - "continue"?! Well, that means i can skip all missions and "win"?
Keep only "fix it" and "exit", it makes sense.
Minimap sometimes glitches to warn you about stalkers, imho whole screen should glitch a little to draw your attention, not only minimap. Main menu background with the same effect looks great!
Under the minimap there is "Multi inventory", "quick orders interface" and "tactics interface" these three should be moved to the load screen tips and/or replaced with passive skills info. I have no time to read about new gained skill, i'm quite busy here shooting tyranids!
Skill icons have no cooldown warning sound/animations, it's very important for apothecary or psyker. But when you playing heavy gunner you have empty skill cells, what for?
Chat overlays with your party members nicknames (at least on my 1920x1080).

Map loading
There are too many useless load screens, this one could be filled with briefing, tips, or your team loadout. Team loadout should be displayed before you can chose your own.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/97230938370840059/7A52F04AB4FE61909388685780519073CEDF3254/
Map/briefing screen has no purpose, because you can't point where to go or draw route.
Stomping sound during spawn should be removed, and spawning system should be re-done.
Make a distant room for preload, initially spawn a new player here and teleport him to the rest of the team when he is ready.
It's not safe to spawn new players on the starting point, there could be tyranids.

Weapons
Plasma cannon
Also found bug, mentioned here http://forum.spacehulk-deathwing.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3522 , it seems this bug depends on latency between server and client.
For me this missing projectile happens every 3rd shot, in case every 2nd shot cause jamming, plasma cannon is too amazing for me.
Lightning claws
Block is greatly decreasing line of sight. You're not going to play hide and seek with tyranids, don't you?
I don't have any reason to pick claws when i have team-killer's thunderhammer!
These suggestions looks fine http://forum.spacehulk-deathwing.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8547
Redemption
After weapon rebalance it's not redemption anymore, there should be hellfire
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/97230938370823713/F99815F52ACC6D3B799FA60384156B3AE5B3064D/
Heavy gunner have a spear of Caliban and plasma cannon, but no heavy flamer. Imho spear should be replaced with flamer, because spear and plasma cannon is quite similar.

Gameplay
Zoom in/out animations
Ok, there is zoom in animation, but where is zoom out animation?
Zooming is totally useless when you equipped with melee weapons, but thermal vision without zooming fits just right.
Afaik space marines visor can adjust brightness, also i can do that with my monitor, why best of the best space marine corps can't do the same?
Decreasing brightness of a muzzle flash or flamethrower will help a lot in a fighting mess. Sometimes it's just a roundhouse spray-and-pray.
Armor damage info
Armor schematic and total health should be displayed for each team member. You can be missing a little of total health, but arms or legs already crippled.
When you getting damage your armor schematic doesn't outline the damaged part, but it should.
Lack of dying animations and sound
Right now it looks like "whoa! My shoelaces are untied!".
For me it's the most important info during the combat, free your all-caps-rage and print death message all over the screen: "%class_name% died, brothers!", "you are the only one left, brother". Teleportation sound or fallen brother's scream fine too.

archvitos

Re: List of improvements

Post by archvitos » 18 March 2017, 14:25

There is only one loadout for librarian-psyker build. You can pick sword and axe only with equipped bolter. Sword and axe have the same stats in inventory.
Increase librarian's skill damage and cooldown. Lightning doesn't kill a single tyranid with a sword's or axe's ability buff!

Redemption has not enough damage and/or penetration. Bolter much more effective in a close range, than "shotgun"!

Vengeance is quite hard to use due to it's high recoil and little clip size.

Unclearly described tactician 1st and 2nd skills. Now i can resurrect bro faster with a less cooldown or faster cast animation? Or i can resurrect two separate guys with both skills?

Lag compensation
I can feel a little delay between pressing 'block' key and my character actually rising a hand/shield to block an attack. There is no lag compensation implemented on UE4 yet?

Impact force and damage from rifleman tyranids is too high. Okay, i can understand head bobbing when you catch a rocket with your head in a tank-like-armor, but riffle bullet? really?

And the last but not least, 1 hit kill by stalkers and acid spits. Stalkers already has advantage to hidden approach, don't need to give them so much damage, at least keep it for max difficulty only. Add slowing debuff to acid spits, but decrease damage or make tyranids to charge acid spit for a few seconds with recognizable animation.

Personally for me broodlord is not so noticeable among other tyranids. Make him bigger with gloving red eyes or something like that. This guy really brings the pain, let me know about it from far away!

darkmuncan

Post by darkmuncan » 19 March 2017, 23:12

archvitos wrote:
14 March 2017, 08:33
All my suggestions based on idea to make SH:DW a better co-op shooter.
It really does seem most of your suggestions are just to make it an easier co-op shooter (not necessarily better).
archvitos wrote:
Unclearly described tactician 1st and 2nd skills. Now i can resurrect bro faster with a less cooldown or faster cast animation? Or i can resurrect two separate guys with both skills?
This I do agree with 100%, although I would expand it to include description of ALL skills, it would be nice to get a 1 sentence summary onscreen when a skill is attained on what it does, I don't always play the same class and I had no idea what some of the skills were on Assault or Tactical that I was getting, I had to go into the Deployment screen and look at the class load-out for a summary.
archvitos wrote:
There is only one loadout for librarian-psyker build. You can pick sword and axe only with equipped bolter. Sword and axe have the same stats in inventory.
Increase librarian's skill damage and cooldown. Lightning doesn't kill a single tyranid with a sword's or axe's ability buff!
Not true, whilst the weapon stats ARE the same, the power cooldown stats are different, the AXE is considerably better on cooldown that the sword (I don't recall the exact stats). I do wish you could have Power Weapons + Bolter Variants though (more for variety), although I think this is more to do with 40K rules from the tabletop game than anything else.
archvitos wrote:
Lag compensation
I can feel a little delay between pressing 'block' key and my character actually rising a hand/shield to block an attack. There is no lag compensation implemented on UE4 yet?
I don't see an issue with this, I think its adequate, I press Block and my guy raises his arm, its not a magical shield that just appears immediately, the Terminator needs to physically raise his/arm to defend. They can only get 1 command at a time to, so if you are using your left weapon to melee, he needs to finish that action before you can block, you cant queue up commands. It took a little bit to get used to I will admit. I seem to recall a dev commenting about it when someone posted they wanted to be able to open a door/shoot/block and run at the same time...
archvitos wrote:
And the last but not least, 1 hit kill by stalkers and acid spits. Stalkers already has advantage to hidden approach, don't need to give them so much damage, at least keep it for max difficulty only. Add slowing debuff to acid spits, but decrease damage or make tyranids to charge acid spit for a few seconds with recognizable animation.
You get a warning of most acid spits (glowing screen stuff coming at you) you can block it and it's not one-hit kill then. Also get a mini-map warning they are in the are (it goes fuzzy) so you should be able to detect them when they are cloaked (they shimmer).

archvitos

Post by archvitos » 22 March 2017, 18:41

darkmuncan wrote:
19 March 2017, 23:12
They can only get 1 command at a time to, so if you are using your left weapon to melee, he needs to finish that action before you can block, you cant queue up commands.
This! I've tried to block with my shield before mallet smash animation ends completely, terminator didn't raise his arm in initial state.
darkmuncan wrote:
19 March 2017, 23:12
You get a warning of most acid spits (glowing screen stuff coming at you) you can block it and it's not one-hit kill then. Also get a mini-map warning they are in the are (it goes fuzzy) so you should be able to detect them when they are cloaked (they shimmer).
One-two guys with a heavy flamer and apothecary with hellfire forcing you to navigate with the minimap only. I even bumped into a broodlord once. I think there's a way to make acid spit more distinct.
Also tested damage of the spit and got 1 hit killed with raised hand and full health on hard difficulty (3rd) as a apothecary. Caught it right in the head. Have no idea if tyranid's damage also scales up to a number of players or this is a critical hit, this could be the reason.

Addition to the list:

Sudden ending in multiplayer. It seems there is timeout after final fight teleportation when you get "mission accomplished" sign. No one of us didn't reach the opened door and statistics tab came in! Default "mission accomplished" sign could be changed to "Emperor pleased with your success", "You are no more shame of your chapte" or so, then bring back players to the main menu.
Slow mob spawning in the 5th chapter into geneseed chamber at the moment, when you need to defend geneseed. After first couple of waves, spawn rate significantly drops, and you facing 2-3 tyraninds once in a 30 sec for a long time. Increase spawn rate or decrease overall time/time between waves.
Broodlord sometimes acts dumb when he can't reach players in a small corridors, he just staring at you with no actions.
I know skill system and/or weapons will be balanced more, and now in multiplayer we have something more like placeholders, but there is only 4 skills of the 6 levels. And it's really hard to achieve max level.
Guys, you have a lot to do with a player respawn system. One forgotten terminator at the begging of the map makes your team immortal!
The last thing, more like a request - Litanies.
There are lot of buffs and mass skills, but they have no sound indication, litanies fit perfectly for this!

...someone could tell me why the hell turrets attacking terminators even on tech-priest's ship (6 or 7 map)?